How To Substitute Olive Oil For Butter With Healthier Holiday Bakes
We believe that winter and holiday season is a great time to indulge in some delicious baking and, if you substitute olive oil for butter, your cakes, pies and cookies will be packed with health as well as flavour.
By making a simple swap away from butter to extra virgin olive oil, your baked goods will be moist, tasty and loaded with healthy antioxidants and monounsaturated fats.
Generally speaking, you can substitute three quarters of the butter in your baking recipe with extra virgin olive oil to reduce saturated fat but maintain a good crumble, appearance and flavour.
Baking With Olive Oil As Butter Substitute: The Mediterranean Way
During the holiday season, there is so much baking inspiration out there to choose from so we have done the hard work and selected three mouth-watering Mediterranean inspired bakes which use extra virgin olive oil as the main fat source.
Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti with Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup white sugar
- Teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 ½ cups pistachio nuts
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix together oil and sugar until well blended. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts, then beat in the eggs. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually stir into egg mixture. Mix in cranberries and nuts by hand.
- Divide dough in half. Form two logs (12x2 inches) on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Dough may be sticky; wet hands with cool water to handle dough more easily.
- Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until logs are light brown. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Cut logs on diagonal into 3/4 inch thick slices. Lay on sides on parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until dry; cool.