Flavours from the Middle East continue to grow in popularity around the globe and what better time to infuse your Tahini or Harissa with an extra virgin olive oil of supreme quality than now? The nights are getting colder and darker and the flavours of Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria are a perfect way to warm up from the inside. By using the best olive oil in your Mezze feast, you can also be sure that the health benefits of this polyphenol loaded ‘liquid gold’ give your immune system the boost it needs in winter. Let’s begin with this courgettes, tahini and Almonds recipe from Layo and Zoe Paskin for The Times Magazine
Courgettes, Tahini and Almonds Recipe
- 100g tahini
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 3 medium courgettes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 40g roasted whole almonds, skin on
- Half a bunch of dill
- Sea salt
- extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Mix the tahini and lemon juice with 90ml water in a bowl until smooth. Season to taste, then set aside.
- Trim the courgettes and cut them lengthwise into quarters. Mix the garlic into the extra virgin olive oil and pour over the courgettes, mixing them well to coat. Leave them to marinate for an hour.
- Season the courgettes with salt and pepper and grill on a griddle pan, cut sides down, or under a hot grill until browned, about 12 minutes.
- To serve, spread the tahini sauce on a platter and place the courgettes on top. Sprinkle over the almonds and dill and finish with sea salt, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.