As part of our Meze trilogy of recipes to create the perfect Moroccan Meze feast this Yoghurt with beets or Borani Chogondar recipe is easy to create and tastes great. It’s time to add a splash of spectacular colour to your Meze feast with this Middle Eastern yoghurt dip, which can be made ahead. According to eatingwell.com, the longer it sits, the better it gets!
By using the best olive oil in your Mezze feast, you can also be sure that the health benefits of this polyphenol loaded ‘liquid gold’ give your immune system the boost it needs in winter.
Borani Chogondar Recipe
- 1 medium red beet
- 3 tablespoons Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried mint plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole-milk plain Greek yoghurt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wrap beet in foil and roast in a small baking pan until tender when pierced with a knife, 40 to 50 minutes. Unwrap and let cool; peel and grate using the large holes of a box grater.
- Transfer the grated beet to a large bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon mint, garlic and salt. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fold in yogurt and pepper. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Serve the Yoghurt with beets topped with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1 teaspoon mint.
- Tips To make ahead: Prepare through Step 3 and refrigerate for up to 3 days.