A well known and famous Greek dish, dolmakadia is the Greek word for stuffed grape leaves. There are lots of varieties of Dolmakadia using different ingredients in the stuffing and we have included this super tasty vegetarian version. One of most important parts of the dish is the quality of extra virgin olive oil. We suggest using Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil so you cannot go wrong.
Some more information on dolmakadia taken from wikipedia:
“Grape leaves, the leaves of the grapevine plant, are used in the cuisines of a number of cultures. They are most often picked fresh from the vine and stuffed with a mixture of rice, meat, and spices, and then cooked by boiling or steaming. Stuffed grape leaves can be served as an appetizer or as a main dish.”
The next time you’re looking for a delicious and healthy meal, try this Dolmakadia recipe with extra virgin olive oil. It’s easy to make and loaded with flavor. Plus, the extra virgin olive oil will give your dish some added health benefits. So why not give it a try today?
Dolmakadia Recipe With Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup rice
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 6 scallions, minced (including green tops)
- 2 lemons
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs grape leaves
- Heat olive oil in large frying pan (reserving 2 tablespoons of the oil for later use). Sauté onions with salt until transparent. Add pepper and rice, cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add dill, parsley, scallions, juice of 1 lemon and 1/2 cup of the water. Cook 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Correct seasoning.
- Rinse grape leaves very well; drain, separate very carefully. Place shiny side down. Put about 1 tablespoon filling on each leaf near base. Starting at base, fold over, fold in sides, then roll tightly toward tip into cigar shape.
- Line bottom of kettle with several of the imperfect leaves (to prevent sticking). Arrange rolls in kettle, side by side, in layers. Add reserved 2 tablespoons olive oil and juice of remaining lemon and 1 cup water. Weight down with heat proof plate. Simmer gently 25 minutes. Add remaining 1 cup water, simmer 25 minutes more. Cover rolls in kettle, then refrigerate.
- To serve, pile stuffed grape leaves on serving plate; garnish with lemon slices. Serve at room temperature.