A great way to get the benefits of olive oil with this simple Mediterranean Diet dish
Updated July 05 2022
Extra virgin olive oil is an integral part of the Mediterranean diet. A healthy diet that is associated with sensible tasty portions and slower, more enjoyable eating. People who eat a Mediterranean diet have been shown to have a remarkable variety of health benefits. The extra virgin olive oil in the Mediterranean diet can quickly satisfy hunger. It can lead to fewer total calories ingested at mealtime.
This recipe, which makes for a hearty lunch or dinner, features a base of delightfully chewy farro, lentils, and chickpeas, topped with veggies, avocado, Kalamata olives, and feta — plus a bright lemony garlic dressing. Even better: You can easily save leftovers for a quick throw-together
- Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini squash, sliced into rounds
- 2 to 3 cups cooked farro (from 1 cup uncooked farro, prepared according to package)
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils or from canned lentils, drained and rinsed (see notes for lentil cooking instructions, if needed)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas or from canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 avocados, skin removed, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Handful pitted kalamata olives
- Sprinkle crumbled feta cheese, optional
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 ½ tsp quality Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp Za'atar spice
- ½ tsp ground Sumac
- Cook Zucchini. In a non-stick pan or skillet, heat 2tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add the sliced zucchini and saute on both sides until tender. Remove zucchini with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain any excess oil. Season lightly with salt.
- Prepare dressing. Add the dressing ingredients to a mason jar. Close the lid tightly and give it a good shake. Set aside for now (but shake again before using).
- Assemble grain bowls. Divide the cooked farro, lentils, and chickpeas equally among four dinner bowls (it'll come to ½ cup of each per bowl). Add cooked zucchini, tomatoes, shallots, avocado slices, parsley, and kalamata olives. Season lightly with salt, pepper and more za'atar, if you like. Drizzle a bit of the dressing on top (about 2 tbsp per bowl). Finish with crumbled feta - if you like.
- Serve at room temperature or warm, if farro and pulses were just cooked. It's best to mix the ingredients in each bowl to allow the dressing flavours to infuse. If you have a bit of dressing left, serve it alongside.