How To Sprinkle Your Easter Lunch With Some Olive Oil Magic
If you are gearing up for a leisurely Easter lunch with family or friends but want to keep health and wellbeing on the menu, look no further than these olive oil infused Mediterranean recipes for inspiration.
Packed full of heart healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, Mediterranean meals made with the best olive oil you can buy are a great way to fill your Easter table with colour and joy.
Here are some healthy favourites from the Morocco Gold team to tempt your Easter taste buds with polyphenols and antioxidant goodness.
Blanched Asparagus With Mediterranean Salsa
For the Mediterranean Salsa
- 12 oz cherry tomatoes chopped or halved (place in a small sieve over a bowl to drain a little)
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves or basil chiffonade, if you prefer
- Salt and pepper more for later
- ½ teaspoon sumac
- 2 to 3 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil more for later
- 1½ lb Asparagus tough ends trimmed (preferably baby asparagus if available)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- What better way to start your healthy Easter feast than with this visually stunning treat for Asparagus lovers from The Mediterranean Dish.
- Make the Mediterranean salsa. In a mixing bowl, add the tomatoes, shallots, garlic and herbs. Season with salt, pepper, and sumac. Add lemon juice and a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Mix and set aside so flavors will meld nicely (or, if you prefer, cover and chill until ready to serve).
- In a cooking pot or large saucepan, bring 8 cups of water, seasoned with 2 tablespoons of kosher salt, to a boil. Have a large bowl of ice water ready next to it (this is an ice bath for the blanched asparagus).
- When water comes to a rolling boil, add the prepared asparagus. Boil until tender, 3 to 4 minutes (depending on thickness). Remove with tongs, or drain in a colander, and immediately transfer to the bowl of ice water for 1 minute to stop the cooking process. Drain; set aside to cool down a bit (or if you prefer to serve it as a salad, chill in the fridge for a bit).
- When ready to serve, arrange the asparagus on a serving platter. Season with salt and pepper. Add a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil and lemon zest. Top with the Mediterranean salsa. Enjoy this alternative!