Celebrate In Style With Healthy Olive Oil Rich Treats
Celebrating the Fourth of July in style often means spending time with family, friends and enjoying good food together! And what more could we want to give our loved ones on this special occasion than the gift of health and wellbeing? By incorporating the best extra virgin olive oil into your July 4th feast, you will guarantee your guests benefit from a rich supply of health boosting polyphenols. Polyphenols are believed to reduce morbidity and/or slow down the development of cardiovascular and neurodegenerative diseases as well as cancer.
Morocco Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Choose The Healthiest Of Fats
Baking and sweet treats are a regular fixture on many a Fourth of July table but did you know that extra virgin olive oil can be used for baking? So why not swap your usual oil or fat for extra virgin olive oil – the healthiest fat of all – when you’re planning this year’s 4th July feast? This fun recipe for tasty berry pop tarts is sure to be a crowd pleaser!!
Healthy Berry Pop Tarts With Morocco Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For many more ideas on cooking with extra virgin olive oil like our berry pop tarts, read our recipes pages and impress any guests. To purchase your bottle of Morocco Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil head over to our shop here.
- For the Dough:
- 1 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Morocco Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Milk, plant-based or regular
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon, optional
- 1/2 cup Mixed Berry Jam, or your favorite jam flavor
- 1 Egg (for an egg wash), substitute with olive oil for vegan alternative
- For the Dough:
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the salt and flour.
- Add in the olive oil and use a fork or your fingers to pinch together the mixture, until crumb-like texture.
- Add in the milk and mix together with a fork, then knead for 1-2 minutes with your hands, until the dough is smooth and pliable. Wrap tightly in saran wrap and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Assembling the Pop Tarts:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface or between two pieces of parchment paper to be 1/6-1/8" thick. (Think like the thickness of a quarter coin.)
- Use a cookie cutter to make an even amount of equal-sized cut-outs, re-rolling out the dough until all of it is used. Depending on the size of your cookie cutter, you should have appx. 12-24 equal-sized cut outs.
- In half of the cut-outs, place a small dollop of jam in the center (once again, the amount will depend on size of your cookie cutter).
- Brush the inside edges of the dough cut-outs that have jam with the egg wash or olive oil. Place another dough cut-out on top and crimp together the edges with a fork to seal together the pop tart. Repeat for remaining pop tarts.
- (Optional) Brush each assembled pop tart with the egg wash or olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until golden brown.