The Health Benefits Of Olive Oil You Need This September
Don’t let your health habits slide this fall as sticking to a Mediterranean diet can have some major benefits for your health as the weather gets cooler. Studies have shown that following a Mediterranean diet can help to reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and cancer. The diet is also associated with a lower risk of Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. In addition, eating Mediterranean-style meals has been linked to improved mental health and a reduced risk of depression. So this fall, make an effort to plan your meals ahead and choose recipes that are full of healthy ingredients like olive oil, fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and fish. Your body will thank you for it!
Why Plan Your Mediterranean Meals Ahead?
While the mediterranean diet can be enjoyed year-round, fall is a particularly good time to plan your mediterranean meals. This is because the produce available in the fall provides an abundance of nutrient-rich ingredients that are essential to the mediterranean diet. Seasonal fruits and vegetables such as pumpkins, squash, Brussels sprouts, and pomegranates are not only delicious but also packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. So this fall, take advantage of the seasonal produce and plan your Mediterranean meals ahead of time for optimal health benefits.
Ideas For Mediterranean Diet Dinners With Olive Oil
We loved this great selection of healthy and delicious Mediterranean Diet Dinners for The Fall from Eatingwell.com and wanted to pull out a couple to inspire you.
Ground Beef And Pasta Skillet
- 1 tablespoon Morocco Gold extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound 90%-lean ground beef
- 8 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped or pulsed in a food processor
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rotini or fusilli
- ½ cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup Chopped fresh basil for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beef, mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring, until the beef is no longer pink and the mushroom liquid is mostly evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire, Italian seasoning, salt and garlic powder.
- Add pasta. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and cook, stirring once or twice, until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 16 to 18 minutes.
- Sprinkle the pasta with cheese, cover and cook until the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Garnish with basil, if desired.
If you’re looking for a way to enjoy the flavors of fall without all the extra work, consider planning ahead with some mediterranean meals. These recipes are simple enough that you can cook them on a weeknight, but they still have that warm, cozy feeling that comes with autumn. What are you waiting for? Get started on your meal plan today!