Taking care of the microbes in our guts is one of the best ways to keep our digestive system working well and protect our immune system. That means packing as many fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains and Mediterranean staples like Extra Virgin Olive Oil into our cooking as we can. Our healthy soup packed with protein and vegetables will help gut health.
Recent studies have shown that people who ate diets rich in plant-based foods and fish – akin to the famous Mediterranean diet – had higher collections of inflammation fighting bacteria in their guts.
But perhaps you need some new inspiration to bring those bacteria busting plant-based foods to life? Well, we at Morocco Gold are very happy to oblige with a selection of our favourite Microbiome friendly recipes.
And, don’t forget, our new harvest of extra virgin olive oil is now available to purchase – meaning you can treat your meals to the freshest flavour direct from our olive groves in the foothills of Morocco’s Atlas Mountains.
- 2 tablespoons Morocco Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 large onion
- 3 celery stalks
- 4 carrots
- 1/2 pound chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 24 ounces bone broth (or vegetable broth)
- 3 leaves kale
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 can white beans (drained & rinsed)
- Begin by chopping the onion, celery, and carrots. Add the Morocco Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil to an instant pot; set to saute.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots and all of the seasonings, saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups filtered water and the chicken breast. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken and veggies cook, wash, de-vein and chop the kale. Then chop the zucchini and cauliflower.
- Once the instant pot has cooked for 10 minutes, let it sit and naturally depressurize for 5 mins. Then carefully vent the remaining pressure and remove the lid. Remove the chicken breast and shred.
- Set the Instant Pot back to saute, and add the shredded chicken back to the pot with the chopped kale, zucchini and cauliflower.
- Finally add the bone broth, coconut milk, lemon juice and white beans.
- Stir and cook on saute 5 to 8 minutes. Serve up and enjoy your healthy soup.