How Healthy Snacks Using Extra Virgin Olive Oil Can Keep Superbowl Fans Satisfied From Kick-Off
Updated February 8th 2023
It’s Super bowl time again and there’s no better occasion for fun and easy snack recipes using extra virgin olive oil to look after the budding quarterbacks in your home team.
Extra virgin olive oil is a healthy alternative to other oils and fats. It is high in monounsaturated fats, which can help to lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. Olive oil is also a good source of antioxidants, which can protect against cell damage. There are many healthy snacks that can be made with extra virgin olive oil. Here’s a list of some of our favourites.
- Super Fries
- Popcorn With Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites With Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil Guacamole
Let’s start with this crowd pleaser from Everydaypartymag.com which elevates the humble plate of fries to a whole new level!
Let’s start with Super Fries, Popcorn with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Buffalo Cauliflower Bites and Olive Oil Guacamole.
Super Bowl Fries
- 4-5 Russet Potatoes Cut into fries
- 2 C Cooking Oil
- Pinch Salt To taste
- 1 Lb Fajita Steak
- 2 tsp Morocco Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 TBS Taco Seasoning
- 3 Avocados Smashed
- 1/2 C Salsa
- 1/2 Diced Onion
- 1 C Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- 1 Juice from 1/2-1 Lime
- 1/2 C Sour Cream
- Fries: Cut potatoes into fries and fry in cooking oil until golden brown. You can do this several days before the party. Just freeze, then reheat in the oven. Optional – use precut fries from the freezer and cook acording to package instructions.
- Toppings Smash 3 avocados and mix with salsa to make gauacamole, set aside.
- Super Fries Turn oven onto broil and allow to pre-heat while you prep the cooked fries.
- Place cooked fries in a cast iron pan.
- Top with shredded cheese, cooked/cut steak, more cheese, and fresh onions.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until cheese is fully melted.
- Remove the fries from the oven, and top with gaucamole, sour cream, and more onions. One part of your Super Bowl snacks ensemble.
Popcorn is a great snack option – simply drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over popped popcorn for a light, healthy snack. Simply substitute extra virgin olive oil for butter or other fats in your favourite recipe. Any parents out there will be pleased to hear that extra virgin olive oil as a substitute for vegetable oil or saturated fats is an easy way to keep popcorn and other snacks healthy.
Using extra virgin olive oil to make popcorn makes this whole grain, high fibre snack even healthier. Packed with polyphenols and a good source of energy, extra virgin olive oil is the perfect choice for making popcorn. Every parent on the planet will at one time or another struggled to get their kids to eat a particular food ‘because it’s good for you’ – only to be told – ‘but it’s YUCKY!!’
A big bowl of freshly made popcorn never seems to go out of fashion with children of all ages (and plenty of adults too!). As long as it’s air-popped and lightly seasoned, popcorn is a whole grain and high fibre snack – making it a good choice for lower risk of heart disease, diabetes and some cancers. Did you know that popcorn contains more fibre per serving than whole-wheat bread? Using extra virgin olive oil to make popcorn is our favourite and it is the healthiest option.