Zaalouk salad is a spicy authentic Moroccan salad based on mashed eggplants and tomatoes flavoured with many spices, helping to stimulate the appetite. People usually eat it cold, but you may also enjoy its irresistible spicy taste while it is still hot. Now that you know just how special Moroccan Extra Virgin Olive Oil is, we want to leave you with an idea for how to incorporate this ‘liquid gold’ into a traditional Moroccan dish.
Morocco Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Morocco is on pace to be the fifth largest producer of olive oil in the 2020/21 crop year, according to data published by Juan Vilar Strategic Consultants.The North African country is expected to produce 140,000 tons of olive oil in the current crop year.
If you’re looking for a new and exciting salad to add to your repertoire, give our Moroccan Zaalouk Salad Recipe a try. This Moroccan dish is perfect for summer potlucks or outdoor gatherings with friends and family. The recipe is easy to follow and calls for ingredients that are likely already in your pantry.
Zaalouk Salad Recipe
- 3 eggplants
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 4 minced cloves of garlic
- 4 tbsp Morocco Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne (optional)
- Peel the eggplants and cut them into cubes then boil them in water.
- In a pan on a medium fire, put tomatoes, garlic, parsley and spices with oil and stir from time to time till you get .
- Strain eggplants from water and mash them then add them to the sauce in the pan and keep stirring to mix everything well.
- Let cook for 5 minutes or more until it becomes nearly dry.
- Put lemon slices and some olives then serve it (hot or cold) with bread.
- Your Zaalouk salad is ready to enjoy