A seasonal take on the ever popular olive oil cake, this blackberry & elderberry autumn jewel olive oil cake from lifeinabruzzo.com was just too good to miss!
The compliment of a high quality cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil as a healthy monounsaturated fat is the perfect way to load up on antioxidants or polyphenols which can help to combat those nasty winter bugs hiding around the corner.
Blackberry & Elderberry Cake Recipe
- 400 gm La Rosciola Flour or a similar soft wheat flour
- 100 gm Musovado or Soft Brown Sugar
- 60 gm Morocco Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 120 gm Water
- Washed Blackberries and Elderberries
- 2.5 tsp Baking Powder
- Sieve the flour, baking powder into a bowl, add sugar, water and oil and mix together.
- Knead gently for a couple of minutes till the dough is smooth.
- Cut into half, roll on gently or roll using hands like a pizza and put one half into a lined pie tin
- Lay blackberries and elderberries thickly onto the dough with a couple of dessert spoonfuls of sugar.
- Roll out the remaining dough and spread it over the berry mixture, pushing down the sides as you would a pie.
- Scatter remaining blackberries and elderberries over the top with a sprinkle of sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a pre-heated oven, temperature 180 C for 30 minutes.