If robust is what you are looking for, then look no further than this vegetarian pumpkin & three-bean chili from loveandoliveoil.com Full of flavour and unapologetically hot, it’s sure to warm you up after a brisk walk in the woods.
The fall is a great time to make the most of nature’s seasonal gifts, many of which will pair beautifully with the rich flavour of a robust extra virgin olive oil.
Vegetarian 3 Bean Chili Recipe
- 2 tablespoons Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced, plus more for garnish if desired
- 1 sweet bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 canned chipotle peppers, chopped, plus 1 tablespoon of their sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder*
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black garlic powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 28oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can black beans, with liquid
- 1 15oz can pinto beans, with liquid
- 1 15oz can red kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 cups vegetable broth, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, or more to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Sour cream, shredded cheese, and fresh cilantro, for topping
- Heat oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, pepper and garlic and sautée until softened and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Add chipotle and spices and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, all three beans and their liquid, pumpkin puree, vegetable broth, soy sauce, and corn. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat and let simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes. Cook it slightly longer for a thicker chili, or add a bit more broth to thin it out. Taste, and add more salt or soy sauce as desired.
- Ladle into serving bowls, and top with shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, fresh cilantro and some diced red onion. Serve with corn chips or corn muffins.