Show Your Sandwich Respect With Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Did you know that August is National Sandwich and Panini month? No? Really? Well, at Morocco Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil, we believe that even the humble sandwich deserves to be given the finest treatment! And what better way to lift your lunch above the rest by boosting it with the health benefits of the best olive oil you can find? If you’re looking for a healthy, flavorful way to make your sandwich, look no further than olive oil. Unlike other sandwich Spreads, olive oil is packed with health benefits. Extra virgin olive oil, in particular, is rich in antioxidants and has been shown to improve heart health and reduce inflammation. Plus, it’s a great source of healthy monounsaturated fats.
Sticking with the Mediterranean Diet theme for your sandwich or panini of choice, here is another classic from Heavenlyhomecooking.com
Caprese Panini Sandwich
- ½ cup Spanish olives
- ½ tsp minced garlic 1 clove
- 2 tsp. sundried tomato pesto
- ¼ cup pine nuts lightly toasted
- 1 tbsp Morocco Gold olive oil
- 2 tomatoes cored and halved
- 2 tbsp Morocco Gold olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- 4 slices crusty bread ½-inch thick
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- For olive tapenade:
- Spread pine nuts on a cookie sheet and toast under broiler for 1-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add olives, garlic, pesto and pine nuts to food processor. Pulse until chopped fine.
- With the food processor running, slowly add extra virgin olive oil. Set tapenade aside.
- For Sandwich:
- If you do not have a panini press preheat a grill pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. (Droplets of water should just sizzle when flicked onto pan.)
- Toss tomatoes, 1 tbsp. oil, salt and pepper together.
- Place tomatoes cut side up in pan, cover with fresh aluminum foil and weigh down with heavy skillet or pan. Cook until tomatoes are softened and browned on first side, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer tomatoes to a plate and wipe pan clean.
- Spread olive tapenade evenly over one side of each slice of bread.
- Assemble two sandwiches by layering ingredients as follows between prepared bread, with olive tapenade on the inside of sandwich: half of mozzarella, cooked tomatoes, basil, and remaining mozzarella. Press gently on sandwiches to set.
- Reheat the pan over medium-high heat for about 1 minute. Brush the outside of sandwiches lightly with remaining extra virgin olive oil. Place sandwiches in pan and weigh down with a heavy skillet or Dutch oven. Cook sandwiches until bread is golden brown and crisp on both sides and cheese is melted, about 3-4 minutes per side. Serve and enjoy!
Sandwiches With Olive Oil Benefits
When it comes to sandwich-making, olive oil is also a versatile ingredient. You can use it as a sandwich Spread, or even brush it on your bread before grilling or baking. It’s perfect for panini and grilled sandwiches, and will give your sandwich an extra boost of flavor. So next time you’re in the mood for a sandwich, reach for the olive oil instead of the mayo or mustard. Your taste buds (and your health) will thank you!