Surprising Ways To Enjoy The Health Benefits Of Olive Oil
Updated 18th August 2022
Which Healthy Snacks Can Be Made With Olive Oil?
Olive oil is a healthy alternative to other oils and fats. It is high in monounsaturated fats, which can help to lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. Olive oil is also a good source of antioxidants, which can protect against cell damage.
There are many healthy snacks that can be made with olive oil. Popcorn is a great option – simply drizzle some olive oil over popped popcorn for a light, healthy snack. Ice cream can also be made with olive oil – simply substitute olive oil for butter or other fats in your favorite recipe.
So next time you’re looking for a healthy snack option, reach for the olive oil! You’ll be getting a health boost while satisfying your hunger.
Incorporating the best olive oil in to making healthy snacks is a great way of ensuring your children enjoy the health benefits of olive oil.
How to encourage the health benefits of extra virgin olive oil with children
Any parents out there will be pleased to hear that olive oil as a substitute for vegetable oil or saturated fats is an easy way to keep popcorn and other snacks healthy.
So, what better way to set off your popcorn with a healthy drizzle of the best extra virgin olive oil such as Morocco Gold? – Here’s how:
- 2 tbs Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup corn kernels, 110g
- Salt, To Taste
- Use a 2.8L pot, pour the extra virgin olive oil and allow it to spread on the whole bottom surface.
- Add the corn kernels and place the lid slightly open.
- Place the pot on high heat and allow the kernels to pop. It should take 5min from the time the pot is exposed to heat.
- At least once throughout the cooking, carefully shake the pot (holding down the lid and then open it slightly again to allow for more space for the kernels to pop. Allow the lid to be open a bit so that steam doesn’t build up and so that the popcorn doesn’t soak up the extra moisture
- A good way to know that the kernels are all cooked, is when the popping sound is not as frequent. Be careful you don’t burn them. The pot size is perfect for the amount of kernels listed above. However, if you have a smaller pot and the popcorn overflows, you may empty the popcorn quickly in a bowl and return the remainder of the kernels on the heat to cook.
- As soon as the popcorn is ready, place them in a heatproof bowl and season them with salt to taste while they are hot
Using extra virgin olive oil to make popcorn makes this whole grain, high fibre snack even healthier. Packed with polyphenols and a good source of energy, olive oil is the perfect choice for making popcorn. Every parent on the planet will at one time or another struggled to get their kids to eat a particular food ‘because it’s good for you’ – only to be told – ‘but it’s YUCKY!!’
A big bowl of freshly made popcorn never seems to go out of fashion with children of all ages (and plenty of adults too!). As long as it’s air-popped and lightly seasoned, popcorn is a whole grain and high fibre snack – making it a good choice for lower risk of heart disease, diabetes and some cancers. Did you know that popcorn contains more fibre per serving than whole-wheat bread? Using extra virgin olive oil to make popcorn is our favourite and it is the healthiest option.
Experts Encourage Popcorn As Healthy Snack
Speaking to heart.org, Maya Vadiveloo, an assistant professor in the department of nutrition and food sciences at the University of Rhode Island said: “When prepared well, popcorn actually is a pretty good snack. It’s stable. It’s inexpensive. It’s fairly tasty. For people who might be struggling to eat adequate fruits or vegetables or other whole grains, it’s a low-risk snack to start.”
Kids love to fill their bellies with snacks. The challenge is to let them have healthy snacks that will not create the habits that lead to childhood obesity.
Best olive oil like Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil is an unsaturated fat rather than a saturated fat. This means that it is the heathy kind of fat and a great source of energy. It is also rich in health enhancing polyphenols that look after your digestive system and cardiovascular system even from a very early age.