This lemon cake can be used as a dairy substitute for butter or a healthier option to other cooking oils, cooking with extra virgin olive oil like Morocco Gold can produce the most lusciously soft, fluffy treats, not only enhancing the flavour of the ingredients used but also improving the overall texture of sweet dishes.
Some lemon facts: Lemon oil may be used in aromatherapy. Lemon oil aroma does not influence the human immune system, but may contribute to relaxation. Lastly on March 29th it is National Lemon Chiffon Cake Day. Try making the lemon cake to celebrate the day.
For the cake
- ¾ cup white whole wheat ﬂour & all-purpose ﬂour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup sour milk (can substitute buttermilk)
- ¼ cup warm water
- 2 large lemons, zest and juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting & Garnish
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Optional garnish: Glazed lemon slices
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup sugar
- Let the sour milk and eggs come to room temperature and preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- For the frosting, mix the cream cheese with the icing sugar and place it in the refrigerator.
- Optional: To make glazed lemon slices, combine the sugar with ¾ cup water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring 3 to 4 minutes, until the sugar dissolves. Add the lemon slices and simmer 5 minutes until tender and translucent. Drain and let cool completely on a rack before placing on the cake.
- Mix together the ﬂour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and zest from the two lemons.
- Gradually whisk in the sour milk, eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Finally, add the extra virgin olive oil and the warm water.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake pan and bake for 55 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the cake from the pan and leave it to cool down on a rack.
- While the cake cools, take the prepared cream cheese mixture out of the refrigerator and add the olive oil and lemon zest. Stir well or blend with a hand mixer. Frost the cake and top with glazed lemon slices, if using.