Health Boosting Easy Lunch Snacks With Extra Virgin Olive Oil
If you want to give your kids a nutritional boost and break away from same old boring meals, packing tasty, nutritious Mediterranean style lunches for school is a great way to ensure they get all the fuel they need to make it through their day.
With plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables, nuts, lean proteins, extra virgin olive oil and whole grains in this type of diet you can be sure that they are getting an abundance of vitamins and minerals. Plus these creative recipes will have them coming back for more – no more soggy sandwiches! So join us as we explore some delicious Mediterranean style lunch box ideas perfect for any health-conscious school mum.
This light and colourful salad from Lunchbox.eu is a great option for school lunchboxes and combines some seasonal salad which will help fuel your children’s bodies and minds for the new term.
Have a look at our post about getting started on the Mediterranean diet to find out more about how to follow this healthy diet, the types of food to choose and more.
CousCous Salad With Lemon Dressing and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Morocco Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 small onion , finely chopped
- 100 g organic couscous
- 200 ml vegetable or chicken broth
- 100 ml water
- 1 cucumbers , diced
- 100 g cherry tomatoes , halved
- 3 cups baby spinach or green salad
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup dill , finely chopped
- Lemon Dressing
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 30 ml Morocco Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, saute until the onion is translucent and starting to brown. Add couscous and stir, cook for 1 minute. Add broth and water, place the lid on and turn the heat down to medium low.
- Cook for 10 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and the couscous is cooked through but still firm. Use a fork to separate the couscous, then transfer into a large bowl to cool. It will look sticky, but will separate when tossed with dressing.
- Place Dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well. Add Salad ingredients into the bowl, pour over Dressing and toss. Serve at room temperature.
- Decorate with pomegranate seeds.