Including extra virgin olive oil in something as simple as tomato soup is a great way of getting the benefits of olive oil.
Updated 7th July 2022
Include This In Your Diet For Heart Health
This simple tomato soup recipe with toasted sourdough is quick and easy to make but tastes delicious. A great idea for a healthy lunch. The Mediterranean diet is known for being heart healthy, and a key component of this diet is extra virgin olive oil. This type of olive oil is made from the first cold pressing of olives, and it contains high levels of monounsaturated fatty acids.
These fatty acids have been shown to lower bad cholesterol levels and protect against heart disease. In addition, extra virgin olive oil is a rich source of health enhancing polyphenols, the antioxidants which can help to reduce inflammation throughout the body. For these reasons, adding a bit of extra virgin olive oil to your tomato soup can be a great way to boost its nutritional value and support your overall health.
Vine Tomato Soup Recipe with Toasted Sourdough
- 25ml Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 4 - 6 sprigs of thyme
- 800g vine tomatoes, various sizes, large tomatoes, halved, small ones left whole
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 1 small bunch basil
- Pinch caster sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 50ml Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Pre heat the oven to 200c.
- Place the tomatoes, shallots, garlic and thyme onto a roasting tray. Drizzle over the olive oil and roast for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place in a blender. Add the stock, the sugar and basil then blitz until smooth.
- Place in a pan over a low heat to warm the soup, then season.
- Drizzle the bread with oil and toast. When toasted, rub with garlic.
- Pour the soup into bowls, drizzle with Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil and garnish with basil leaves.
- Your vine tomato soup should be ready!