As well as being the centre of fierce debate as to its categorisation as a fruit or a vegetable, the humble tomato is bursting with health benefits. A single tomato can provide about 40% of the daily recommended minimum of vitamin C. What’s more, tomatoes supply vitamin A, which supports immunity, vision, and skin health; vitamin K, which is good for your bones; and potassium, a key nutrient for heart function, muscle contractions, and maintaining a healthy blood pressure and fluid balance. So, what better compliment to the health-giving polyphenol rich extra virgin olive oil?
This tomato salad oozes with flavour and is quick and easy to make, if you want a healthy salad, give this a try.
Simple Tomato Salad With Olive Oil Recipe
- Tomatoes. Medium size Campari, cocktail or sweet cherry tomatoes tend to be the best.
- Red onion. Slice your onion into thin quarter moons so it doesn't overpower each bite.
- Capers. Adding a bite of pickle power is classic Mediterranean.
- Fresh parsley. Flat leaf parsley is best in this recipe, and lots of it. Curly parsley would be tasty too, just chop it more.
- Garlic. Pressing the garlic melds into the tomato salad better.
- The Morocco Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and lemon. A good quality, fruity extra virgin olive oil will totally make a simple salad like this one—and a cheap one will totally ruin it. A squeeze of fresh lemon gives this salad the acid to balance it all out.
- Other ingredients to add: Olives, chickpeas, avocado, herbs like mint, basil, or marjoram; cucumber, artichoke hearts, thinly sliced zucchini, grilled or pickled asparagus.
- Suggestions to make the tomato salad as a side dish to one of our fish recipes.