Seafood lovers will delight at this fabulous Moroccan paprika fish recipe. Fish is a very common ingredient in some of Morocco’s most delicious cuisine and combining extra virgin olive oil and rich spices to your dish is a guaranteed ticket to a taste sensation. This is the definitely the case with our Moroccan Paprika fish dish.
Fish, Extra Virgin Olive Oil And The Mediterranean Diet
Fish is an important component in the Mediterranean diet as many fish – especially the fattier choices such as mackerel, herring, salmon and trout – are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. This is a type of polyunsaturated fat that may reduce inflammation in the body. Extra virgin olive oil is very high in monounsaturated fats and is loaded with antioxidants, many of which have powerful health and anti-inflammatory benefits. So, as you can see fish and the best olive oil you can afford are a match made in Moroccan heaven!
This Moroccan Paprika Fish Recipe is a fantastic dish to cook for your family and friends. The spices used in the recipe give the fish a wonderful flavor and beautiful color.
Simple Moroccan Fish Recipe
- 4 fillets white fish, 8 ounces each (best if you use a firm, dense fish like halibut, sea bass or snapper)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, cut into large pieces (you may substitute fresh parsley or basil if you prefer)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into long thin strips
- 5 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 3 large dried red chili peppers
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp paprika (heaping)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place cilantro, bell pepper slices, garlic and chilli peppers in the bottom of a sauté pan to create a "bed" for the fish.
- Place fish fillets on top of the other ingredients. Season fillets generously with salt and pepper, then sprinkle turmeric evenly across fillets.
- Add 1 ½ cups of water to the pan. Cover pan, turn flame on high, and bring to a boil. As soon as the water boils, reduce heat to medium and uncover the pan. Mixture should be simmering lightly at this point. Allow mixture to simmer uncovered for 10 - 15 minutes, basting fillets periodically, until the water reduces by half and turns yellow.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Morocco Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil and paprika with a fork. Pour red oil mixture over the fish fillets, coating them evenly. Let the fish simmer uncovered for 20 minutes more, basting frequently. Fish is done when liquid is reduced to about a quarter of what it was originally, and the fish has turned a rich red colour.
- Serve your Moroccan Paprika fish and bell peppers together with the grain and/or vegetable of your choice. The red sauce from the pan can be poured over the top of the fish and the potatoes. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.