A Soffrito is a sauce used as a base in Mediterranean cooking. Usually consisting of onion, garlic, tomatoes cooked in olive oil. The braised artichokes and soffrito is a vegetarian dish that is quick to prepare and delicious to eat. Especially if the base is cooked in Morocco Gold.
- 3 lemons, divided
- 1 gallon water
- 18 to 24 baby artichokes
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cut 2 lemons in half; squeeze juice into water and drop lemons in water. Peel tough outside leaves from artichokes. Cut off stem ends; trim about 1/2 inch from each top. Cut trimmed artichokes in half lengthwise; immediately place in prepared water.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large nonreactive pot over medium-low heat. Stir in fennel and next 5 ingredients. Slice remaining lemon, remove seeds, and place in fennel mixture. Stir in salt and pepper. Cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Drain artichokes and add to fennel mixture. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes or until artichokes are tender. Remove bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a slotted spoon.