We are delighted to share the headline results of our latest harvest analysis for Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil, now available to our customers:
Acidity level : 0.27%
Polyphenols : 278mg / kg
This confirms the ongoing high quality of this rare, delicious tasting extra virgin olive oil from this wonderful new source, together with its health enhancing qualities from its high polyphenol count.
Why this is important.
Extra virgin olive oil is the highest quality olive oil you can get. Genuine extra virgin olive oil is rare and precious.
The chemical characteristics of extra virgin olive oil give an indication of the care with which it was made and stored: how the fruit was grown, transported and harvested, how it was pressed into oil, and how the oil was packaged and bottled. Stringent chemical analysis also helps to determine if the oil is adulterated in any way. The chemical standards for extra virgin olive oil are the highest of all the grades and, as such, offer a guarantee of quality.
The definition of extra virgin olive oil is very precise regards production methods, taste and chemical composition. To be certified as extra virgin, an olive oil must:
- Come from a single source, it is not mixed / blended with other olive oils, even if they are of extra virgin quality
- Come from the first pressing of fresh, young olives, normally within 24 hours of harvesting
- Be extracted purely by mechanical means at temperatures specifically below 28C.
- Have free fatty acid or acidity level (normally measured as oleic acid) of less than 0.8%.
- Be defect free and have a perfect taste and aroma.
The lower the acidity, the better the quality and the longer the shelf-life.
High quality extra virgin olive oils also contain the antioxidants and polyphenols that give the health enhancing qualities associated with olive oil.
Polyphenols are a potent antioxidant – one that can decommission a nasty molecule in your body called free radicals. Free radicals can ricochet around inside your body and harm good cells. Antioxidants, such as the polyphenols found in extra virgin olive oil, work to neutralize free radicals; protecting the body from their harmful antics.
In fact the European Food Safety Agency has now approved health claims for extra virgin olive oils with polyphenol content of more than 250mg / kg. So here are some of the ways that Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil can improve everyday health and well-being.
- Reduces risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Beneficial effect on ulcers and gastritis
- Maintains the digestive tract in good health.
- Helps to reduce blood pressure
- Help control healthy cholesterol levels
- Olive oil eases or prevents diabetes
- Olive oil lessens the severity of osteoporosis
Morocco Gold extra virgin olive oil is tested locally in Morocco by ONSSA, the Office of Agricultural Council and the National Office for the Sanitary Protection of Food Products, then tested again to International Olive Council standards by Eurofins.
Extra virgin olive oil is probably the most extensively researched foodstuff on the planet. We now know what makes it so special and why it is so good for you. It really is the original ‘superfood’ that has stood the test of time and will continue to do so.